"Fast-Reliable, Roosevelt Road Station, South Side Division"
This striking original poster features Charles Medin's illustration of the famous Chicago Coliseum at night time, brilliantly lit as it welcomes crowds to an exciting event.
Posters such as this were used to promote ridership on the Elevated Lines to Chicago-area cultural and educational institutions.
The Chicago Coliseum was the collective name given to three large indoor arenas which stood successively from the 1860s to 1982. The first Coliseum stood at State and Washington streets in downtown Chicago in the late 1860s. The second, at 63rd Street near Stony Island Avenue in the south side's Woodlawn community, hosted the 1896 Democratic National Convention.
The third Chicago Coliseum stood at 15th and Wabash on the near south side. It hosted the 1912 Progressive Party convention and five consecutive Republican National Conventions from 1904-1920. From the 1960s to early '70s, it served as a general admission venue for roller derbies, pro wrestling matches, and rock concerts. Some of the notable musicians to grace its stage include The Grateful Dead, Cream, Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors.
The Coliseum hosted the Chicago Blackhawks from 1926–1929 and the American Hockey Association’s Chicago Cardinals (1926–27) and Chicago Shamrocks (1931–32).
In 1971, the city shut the building down for fire violations and the building fell into disuse. It was finally demolished in 1982.
Lithograph, 42 x 80 inches
This poster is conservation backed on acid-free paper and canvas.
Original Vintage posters are rare and availability is subject to prior sale.
For additional information :