Ft. Sheridan was located along the shore of Lake Michigan, just north of Highland Park. It was an active U.S. Army base through WWII. In this 1926 poster a horse show was depicted demonstrating the Calvary skills.
The North Shore Line was an electric railroad that connected Milwaukee's and Chicago's downtown. Sadly the Railroad closed in 1963 and the base closed in 1993.